Sunday, March 2, 2014

YOUR LIFE A-Z: HABIT

SOMETIMES HABITS ARE INCONVENIENT TO ESTABLISH, BUT THEY ARE NECESSARY

HABIT
Habits are hard to break and they are equally hard to establish.  In order to break or establish a habit, and be successful, there must be a complete buy-in by you.  First of all you must have interest and then you must develop that interest by building steps toward your new habit.  For instance, I have never established a habit of flossing because I have no interest.  Instead, I get my teeth cleaned more often.  

The last “H” word in the TWENTY MINUTE COACH was the word “HEATLHY.”  If you have no interest in your health you are not going to do the things necessary to eat and be healthy.  If you decide to diet, you will cheat, lie, sabotage, and go back to the crap that made you heavy as soon as the scale gets to your magical number.  And,each time you promise yourself it will be different, it isn’t.  You have no buy-in of interest, excitement, or heart.  They are not aligned.  

How do you align them?  What do you want?  Establish what you want first. What are the benefits of attaining your want?  What is it about those benefits that bring you joy?  Ah yes, if I lose 15 pounds I go down two sizes in my pants!  Won’t that be awesome? And my knees won’t hurt when I run.  What picture does that create in your brain?   Find a symbol of that picture that makes you smile every time you look at it and place that symbol where you look at it daily.  Now you are building momentum toward a new habit.  When you arrive, keep doing what worked.  That is what makes it a habit and not just a “program.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment