Friday, July 4, 2014

YOUR LIFE A-Z: HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY

UNALIENABLE ...THERE IS NO HOBBY LOBBY OUT HERE!


UNALIENABLE 

 HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.”  UNALIENABLE is not a word that easily nor poetically rolls off of one’s tongue.  It also seems to be a word that no one pays much attention to, and certainly not one that is mindfully considered in our society today.  However, today I choose to practice a bit of mindfulness as to what UNALIENABLE might mean as a tool of understanding for such a divided nation.  Today, I choose not to wear a hijab or niqab, but it is my Muslims sister’s right to wear one if she chooses.  Today, I still choose not to own a gun but respect UNALIENABLE rights of those who make that choice.  However, I do not believe it is an UNALIENABLE right for citizens to own an AKA 47 or any other weapon of mass destruction. I believe owning a weapon of mass destruction by private citizens steps on my UNALIENABLE right to LIFE AND LIBERTY.  I should be able to walk into a school, a mall, a movie theater or any other public building and not have my LIFE or LIBERTY threatened by a person who believes it is time for a massacre.  Today I choose to explore diversity in food, spirituality, political opinion, and celebrate the reality that diversity is a positive and enlightening way to come toward life.  It is my UNALIENABLE right to love whom I love and dislike folks that to me are difficult for whatever reason.  I really don’t need to explain why I love or dislike anyone.  It is my UNALIENABLE right.  It is not my UNALIENABLE right to stomp on the LIFE, LIBERTY or pursuit of HAPPINESS of any other human.  I am thankful that by the time I was in third grade I could swim in the same pool with people of color and by the time I was in sixth grade I could go to school with people of color and even have a teacher of color.  That is my UNALIENABLE right to choose for myself and once upon a time it was not the case.  A nation divided cannot stand; a nation diverse is a rich and meaningful place to live and be.  Today I practice my UNALIENABLE right to put as much color, experience and diversity into my life of choice.  You have choices and UNALIENABLE rights too.  Celebrate them with respect and care, while being mindful of the UNALIENABLE rights of others.  Fireworks are colorful for a reason.  Enjoy their diversity and respect my UNALIENABLE right to say, don’t enjoy them at a cost of a forest fire or tragedy to someone else.  Be mindful in all that you do today as you celebrate your UNALIENABLE rights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment